Environmental chemistry is the science that comprises studies of natural or anthropogenic chemicals in relation to their impact on and interaction with biological and non-biological systems in the environment. Environmental chemistry integrates knowledge from most of the disciplines of chemistry. Environmental chemistry is needed, together with other sciences (e.g. toxicology, epidemiology, statistics), for performing assessments of health hazards and -risks of chemicals in the environment.
The master’s programme in Environmental Chemistry is built on our knowledge of characterizing chemicals with regard to their chemico-physical properties and hence their performance and behavior in the environment and in organisms. Furthermore, the aim includes teaching the students how to communicate environmental chemistry issues with decision makers and other stakeholders in our society.
The programme consists of compulsory courses (the first semester, 30 ECTS), free choice courses (the second and the third semesters, 30-60 ECTS) and a diploma work (30/45/60 ECTS).
The first compulsory course in the first semester of the programme is Introduction to Environmental Chemistry (15 ECTS), a course that gives a broad introduction to the subject, providing a basic background knowledge for further studies in environmental chemistry. The course is divided in three parts: Organic environmental chemistry, Inorganic environmental chemistry and Atmospheric environmental chemistry. The second compulsory course, Environmental Chemistry Analysis (15 ECTS) presents a deeper knowledge about methods for analyzing different kinds of existing environmental contaminants, including sampling, extraction, clean-up, chromatography and detection techniques.
After the compulsory courses the students can choose between a number of courses in environmental chemistry or chemistry courses with a strong connection to the environmental chemistry subject.
Compulsory courses, first semester:
- Introduction to Environmental Chemistry (15 ECTS), KZ4007
- Environmental Chemistry Analysis (15 ECTS), KZ7008
Eligible courses, second semester:
- Metabolism and Risk Assessment of Environm. Contam. (15 ECTS), KZ7000
- Modelling of Environmental Pollutants I (7.5 ECTS), MI8007
- Modelling of Environmental Pollutants II (7.5 ECTS), MI8008
- Bioanalytical Chemistry (15 ECTS), KA7005
- Biochemical Toxicology (15 ECTS), KB7001
Eligible courses, third semester:
- Experimental Studies in Environmental Science (15 ECTS), MI7005
- Analytical chemistry; Advanced Separation Methods (15 ECTS), KA7006
- Problem Solving in Environmental Science (15 ECTS), MI7005
- Environmental Chemistry Degree Project (45/60 ECTS), KZ9019/9020
Diploma work, fourth semester:
- Environmental Chemistry degree project (30/45/60 ECTS), KZ9018